In my ten years of teaching, I have had the opportunity to attend several writing workshops. I have also read blogs and watched videos on how others teach writing. However, every time I walked away from a writing PD I was still confused and overwhelmed. I felt they gave me great advice and ideas but they never really told me where to start or how to finish a writing assignment.
I have taught 1st, 3rd and 4th grade. I personally feel that writing is a very important component to reading comprehension and fluency. It helps students to make connections between reading, grammar, and writing. Due to these reasons, I have incorporated the writing process in my daily schedule for several years. I love to teach writing using art projects, directed drawings, drawing starts, or experiences. I feel this helps to encourage ownership and engagement. I try to make writing an enjoyable experience.
Due to research I know:
- Students need to write daily.
- Students need to incorporate the writing process when writing an essay.
- Students need to be aware of their audience.
- Teachers need to create a community of writers
- Teachers need to MODEL MODEL, MODEL
How I plan my week:
I start by selecting the writing genre. (descriptive, narrative, expository, or opinion) Next I select a common core grade level writing standard and create a learning target. Once I create a learning target I focus on success criteria.
4th Grade Example:
Learning Target: I can use transitional words to organize the sequence of events in a narrative story.
Success Criteria: (checklist)
- Write a three paragraph essay
- Use transitional words
- Write a introduction 3-5 sentences
- Write a body 6 + sentences
- Write a conclusion 3-5 sentences
- Use complete sentences
- Use correct capitalization and punctuation
Day 1: I select:
- A directed drawing
- A drawing start
- A picture book
- Provide an experience (such as carving a pumpkin or picking four leaf clovers)
Students complete a writing web in their writing notebooks
Day 3: Depends on my students writing level. If they need more guidance we complete a writing outline. If they are able to write without an outline I model how to write the essay using the prewriting web. I encourage students to start writing their rough draft using their web.
Day 4: If we used an outline, I model how to use the outline to write a three paragraph essay. Then I encourage the students start writing their rough draft.
If we did not use an outline, I allow students to continue to finish their rough draft. I encourage students to use peer editing. I am also available for conferences and editing.
Day 5: If students have edited their work and I have checked their writing. I encourage them to rewrite their essay on new lined paper or type their story.
Day 3: Depends on my students writing level. If they need more guidance we complete a writing outline. If they are able to write without an outline I model how to write the essay using the prewriting web. I encourage students to start writing their rough draft using their web.
Day 4: If we used an outline, I model how to use the outline to write a three paragraph essay. Then I encourage the students start writing their rough draft.
If we did not use an outline, I allow students to continue to finish their rough draft. I encourage students to use peer editing. I am also available for conferences and editing.
Day 5: If students have edited their work and I have checked their writing. I encourage them to rewrite their essay on new lined paper or type their story.
Visit my Teachers Pay Teachers Store for writing lesson pans and units. Making A Difference Daily

No comments:
Post a Comment