Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Different, Not Less (Autism Awareness Week)


This week our school has been participating in Autism Awareness week. I wanted my 4th grade students to better understand autism and how to be a good friend to someone with autism. 

   
I started by reading my students the book My Friend Has Autism by Amanda Doering Tourville. After the book, I showed a 5 minute You Tube video titled Amazing Things Happen. I felt the video did a great job explaining what autism means. After the video, the students asked several questions. 
    We then talked about ways to be a good friend to someone with autism. We discussed inclusion, kindness, understanding, patience and communication. We discussed the phrase "Different, but not less" I asked the students to explain what they think the phrase means. 
They completed a writing assignment. It was a successful assignment and I am proud of my students. 

Please visit my Teacher Pay Teacher store for free writing template
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Autism-Awareness-April-Writing-Templates-4481380

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Day of School Activities

 After Classroom set up the  NEXT STEP IS TO PLAN ENGAGING FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL ACTIVITES AND LESSONS I write a detailed first day of school ...