Tuesday, April 7, 2020

What a YEAR 2019-2020


I am going to be honest. This has been one of my toughest years in education. The year started with severe back pain. It was difficult for me to use my teacher energy in my classroom when I was in pain 24/7. I tried (boy I tried) so hard to teach using a stool, my projector, my desk, a seat, and I would even push a rolling cart down the hall to walk around the school. It took everything in me to make it to my car at the end of the day due to the pain. I was not the fun teacher and it seem to throw off my teaching style.  My 5 year old daughter was also struggling with snoring issues and I would stay up late at night worrying about her breathing. I had to take days off for her sleep study and tonsil removal. Then I had to take several weeks off to have back surgery. Then we were out several days due to weather and flu. The year sadly ended in April due to the coronavirus.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sad that we did not get to experience fun days or make end of the year third grade memories.
I am actually sad they did not get to show what they know on the state assessments. They were going to rock that test.
I miss teaching fractions, inferencing skills, and writing.
I miss reading data and looking for growth.
I miss hearing about my students weekend and things that make them happy.
I even miss repeating myself 10 times a day. LOL
I am sad that my kindergartner did not get an end of the year program or to tell her friends goodbye.
I am worried about all my students, their families, and my co workers health.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOWEVER, through all the challenges, I feel my students showed emotional and academic growth. I observed students overcome daily anxiety. I observed students developing close friendships.  I observed students fluency and comprehension growth. Their writing, spelling, and handwriting improved. They are now better prepared for 4th grade. My students gained confidence in their reading ability. I hope and pray my students are enjoying their family time.

 My co workers were very supportive and helped me through my challenges. Despite all the negative there were several positives. I plan to take all my experiences and use them to improve my future. I plan to continue to grow as an educator and make sure my current students' needs are taken care of through this pandemic. I plan to use my time wisely to improve for my next year's class. I am going to use my challenges for personal and professional growth.

WOW! WHAT A YEAR!!!!


1 comment:

  1. And... how grateful we all are for the educator that you are. How even through your own struggles you still loved on our kids. How despite it all you made a difference and an impact and you grew places in some kids hearts (Abbie) who have a hard time with emotions but you. You will forever hold a place in her heart because you taught her but also loved. I, I as a mother wants to thank you. Thank you for your selflessness. Thank you for loving my child(even when she was difficult).

    ReplyDelete

First Day of School Activities

 After Classroom set up the  NEXT STEP IS TO PLAN ENGAGING FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL ACTIVITES AND LESSONS I write a detailed first day of school ...