Tuesday, May 7, 2019

My Flexible Seating Journey

    I have slowly implemented "flexible seating" options over the past three years. I decided to make the transition due to student behavior and engagement. I felt my 4th grade students had a difficult time staying focused during a lesson while sitting in a desk. (esp after lunch)  At this time, I was teaching at a small rural school and the students did not have any specials except for P.E. Therefore, they were in my general education classroom ALL day.


    I  started my journey by adding two standing tables and bouncy bands on the desk. The students would give a special signal to use the standing tables if they felt the need to stand. The next year I added exercise balls. Last, I have incorporated a kitchen table, stools for tall table, a short table, a wicker couch, rugs, bean bags, storage ottomans, pillows, short stools, wobble cushions and a rocking chair. I keep 12 student desks for the students who still prefer to sit in a desk and have their own space.  Next year I plan to add another kitchen table and chairs.

    I do not like to think of my classroom set up as "flexible seating." I feel it is more alternative seating choices.  It is not much different than a classroom with desks or tables. The students are not allowed to change their seats daily. They are assigned seats of choice and they may ask to move during snack time at the end of the day.  Each area has a designated place for textbooks and notebooks. At the beginning of the year, the students choose to move several times; however, they eventually find the area that works best for them and the moving settles down.
     I absolutely love my classroom. Providing my students with alternative seating options has been a wonderful decision for me and my teaching style. I am aware that it may not be for everyone; however, if you are consider making the transition I highly recommend it. My students are happy, comfortable, engaged, and behaved. I do not have many behavior issues in my classroom. Due to being able to wiggle and move, students seem more focused during my lessons than when I only had desks.

     I feel it is a trial and error decision. For example, I have found that I do not love exercise balls. I went from nine in my classroom to only two. I also discovered this years group does not love the wobble cushions; however, it may be a big hit next year.

   Transitioning in to alternative seating has been a wonderful journey. I am happy that I made the decision to make the switch.

    Students are in the classroom for 6 to 7 hours a day. Why can't they be comfortable while they are there?  When students complete homework at home where do they choose to work? The kitchen table, the coffee table, the couch, the floor? We get to choose our desk and cushion chairs why can't they?













No comments:

Post a Comment

First Day of School Activities

 After Classroom set up the  NEXT STEP IS TO PLAN ENGAGING FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL ACTIVITES AND LESSONS I write a detailed first day of school ...