Thursday, May 23, 2019

Reading Intervention Guidance


      I have been teaching third and fourth grade classrooms for
several years; therefore, I have experience teaching students who
are performing below grade level in reading. It is difficult for
struggling students to show success on grade level test when
they are missing previous grade level skills. When I notice a
student is struggling to reach grade level goals I make it my mission
to identify their gaps and through daily intervention I provide them
with effective instruction to fill those gaps.
     I feel that intervention small group is a very important factor to
help bring struggling students up to grade level. Once the gaps are
filled they start to show improvement on grade level material.  
   Due to these reasons, I have provided you with an example
intervention lesson plan that I use daily for my struggling students.
I have also provided you with a lesson plan outline. Consistency with
this plan has shown two grade levels of growth on test scores at the
end of the school year.
     This outline may be used with material and resources you already
have or you may use resources such as teacher pay teacher to collected
the needed sight word list, word families list, and decodable fluency
passages.


The following plan is beneficial to students who are
struggling with phonics, spelling, decoding, sight words
and blending.


Through this 30 minute small group lesson you cover:
Phonemic awareness, phonics skills, spelling, letter formation,
sentence structure, grammer, sight words, comprehension skills,
decoding, blending, and fluency.


Suggested Materials:


Phonics flash cards
Sight word flash cards
Nonsense word passages
Dolch sight words list (pre primer, primer, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th)
Decodables passages or books
Sand tray
SIght word Zap it game
Fluency Poems
Readers theater
Fluency sentence strips
Passages with questions
Grade level fluency passages
Whisper phones
Dictation paper
Reading logs
Readers workshop notebook
Anchor charts
Word families list

For more information visit my TPT page:

Making a Difference Daily

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Day of School Activities

 After Classroom set up the  NEXT STEP IS TO PLAN ENGAGING FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL ACTIVITES AND LESSONS I write a detailed first day of school ...